Sunday, February 12, 2017

Fixing the 1:55 Video Error

I have converted many vhs videos to dvds. Unfortunately some of them have the 1:55 error which means the vob file may be 20 minutes or more long but registers as 1 minute 55 seconds long. This makes editing the file impossible in many editing programs. The way around it that I have found is to import the files into WinX Free VOB to MP4 Converter and convert them to mp4 files. Then I can edit them.

As the name implies they have a free version which works great. However, for me they deserve the $$$ because they have saved a number of my files. So, I have upgraded to the paid version. (If you order from the trial version, you get a discount off ordering from the web site.)

4 comments:

MAX Redline said...

Nice find, from the look of it. Most of my tapes are 8 mm., but after we get the place peddled and moved into our next home away from Portland, I may have to give this a shot. I transferred a couple of tapes to DVD using a different program, but am always interested in other stuff. Thanks!

T. D. said...

Max, I did most of these dvds 7 or 8 years ago. I think the media is failing. One of the disks doesn't even read but is clearly recorded. That one even this program couldn't save. But, glad I found this program for all the others. It's also a heads up to go back over dvds done in the past and to make sure I have it backed up digitally as well as on media.

MAX Redline said...

Correct, TD - DVDs don't have long shelf lives unless stored under ideal temperatures of around 70 degrees, and even then are subject to degredation, although not as fast as magnetic media like tapes.

T. D. said...

I had heard that, Max. But, this is the first time I saw it in action personally.