May 13th press release; no death date given - The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Sailor who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). Petty Officer Second Class Jorge Luis Velasquez, 35, of Houston, died as a result of a non-combat related incident in Manama, Bahrain
May 11 - 1st Lt. Alejo R. Thompson, 30, of Yuma, Ariz., died in Bagram, Afghanistan,
when enemy forces attacked his unit with small-arms fire.
- Sgt. Wade D. Wilson, 22, of Normangee, Texas, died while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan.
May 12 - Spc. Alex Hernandez III, 21, of Round Rock, Texas, died in Kandahar, Afghanistan.
- Staff Sgt. Israel P. Nuanes, 38, of Las Cruces, N.M., died in Kandahar province, Afghanistan, of wounds sustained during an enemy attack with
an improvised explosive device.
May 13 - They died in Bowri Tana, Afghanistan, when the enemy attacked their
vehicle with an improvised explosive device. Killed were:
- Sgt. Brian L. Walker, 25, of Lucerne Valley, Calif., and
- Pfc. Richard L. McNulty III, 22, Rolla, Mo.
May 18 - They died in Asadabad, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces
attacked their unit with an indirect fire. Killed were:
- Sgt. Michael J. Knapp, 28, of Overland Park, Kan., and
- Sgt. Jabraun S. Knox, 23, of Fort Wayne, Ind.
May 19 - Spc. Samuel T. Watts, 20, of Wheaton, Ill., died in Bethesda, Md., of wounds sustained April 25, in Zharay, Afghanistan, when he was attacked with an enemy improvised explosive device.
May 20 - They died in Tarin Kowt, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces
attacked their unit with an improvised explosive device. Killed were:
- Capt. Jesse A. Ozbat, 28, of, Prince George, Va., and
- 2nd Lt. Tobias C. Alexander, 30, of Lawton, Okla.