January 20 - Sgt. Mark H. Schoonhoven, 38, of Plainwell, Mich., died at Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas from wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device on Dec. 15, 2012 in Kabul, Afghanistan.
February 22 - Staff Sgt. Jonathan D. Davis, 34, of Kayenta, Ariz., died while conducting
combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan.
March 7 - Spc. Cody D. Suggs, 22, of West Alexandria, Ohio, died at Kandahar Airfield,
Afghanistan, as a result of a non-combat incident that remains under
- Tech. Sgt. Larry D. Bunn, 43, of Bossier City, La., died as a result of a
non-combat incident at an undisclosed base in Southwest Asia.
March 11 - They died in Jalrez District, Afghanistan, of injuries sustained when
they were attacked by small arms fire. Killed were:
- Capt. Andrew M. Pedersen-Keel, 28, of South Miami, Fla.
- Staff Sgt. Rex L. Schad, 26, of Edmond, Okla.
They died in Kandahar, Afghanistan. The incident is under investigation. Killed were:
- Staff Sgt. Steven P. Blass, 27, of Estherville, Iowa.
- Chief Warrant Officer Bryan J. Henderson, 27, of Franklin,
- Capt. Sara M. Knutson, 27, of Eldersburg, Md.
- Staff Sgt. Marc A. Scialdo, 31, of Naples, Fla.
- Spc. Zachary L. Shannon, 21, of Dunedin, Fla.
March 13 - Chief Petty Officer Christian Michael Pike, 31, of Peoria, Ariz., died in
Landstuhl, Germany, as a result of combat-related injuries sustained on
March 10 while conducting stability operations in Maiwand District,
- Spc. David T. Proctor, 26, of Greensboro, N.C., died at Walter Reed
National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Md., from injuries sustained
during a non-combat incident on March 3, in Kandahar Province,
March 16 - Chief Warrant Officer James E. Groves III, 37, of Kettering, Ohio, died in
Kandahar, Afghanistan. This incident is under investigation.