Tuesday, September 01, 2020

Comcast's Safe Browser Acts as Malware

I thought I had somehow installed malware because I tried going to a site and was blocked from doing so by this screen:


The "Proceed Anyway" link doesn't work. The service comes up from safebrowse.io. It turns out this is a flawed service that Comcast "provides". Fortunately, there is information on how to disable it on the Comcast user forum.

The fix there is to go to your xFi (internet service link)

1. Click on More (at the upper right)

2. Click on My Services (at the middle left)

3. Under xFi Advanced Security click on the disable button

I only happened on the fix because in the midst of a bunch of false fix sites seeking to sell their service, was an entry from an discussions.apple.com site that mentioned it and was obviously not trying to sell software. A poster there pointed me to the Comcast user forum.

Glad I found out it was Comcast's fault and not mine for somehow clicking on a malware link. I'm going to let Comcast know how buggy their helpful safebrowse fix is.


5 comments:

MAX Redline said...

You use Comcast as an ISP?

Unknown said...

Yes, Comcast is our provider for internet.

MAX Redline said...

There are better ISPs out there....

Unknown said...

Max, please give me a list in order of preference. It's not my decision alone, but I'd like to know which ones my go-to guy likes. :-)

T. D. said...

Just noticed my comments are coming from Unknown. Somehow I was signed in with another google account. Hopefully, this will change back to my main one.