Monday, December 14, 2020

A Blast from the Past: Tik-Tok Menu and Scotty's Ad

Just recently I was looking at my dad's Benson High School yearbook. Inserted in the front cover was the Tik-Tok menu below:

We never went to the Tik Tok that I remember, but my dad and mom dated while she was a carhop there in 1943-1944. So, we have heard about it all our lives.

The menu is one half page (front and back). Interesting that you could get a burger, fries and milkshake there in 1943-1944 for 55 cents with an extra 5 cent charge to have it taken to your car. Kind of neat to see what the full menu was.

Awhile back I found a Scotty's ad from a 1955 Oregonian. When I was a kid my parents would take me and my older brother to Scotty's for a special treat of hamburger and french fries. It was more a McDonald's sized burger and fries. We never got the milkshake. But, my dad would order a number of hamburgers, and he would eat enough of them to fill him up. My mom, older brother and I were usually satisfied with one hamburger and fries. It was a fun time.

Later, when McDonald's came to Portland, I remember you could get a hamburger (15 cents) and fries (10 cents) for a quarter. I don't remember how much a milkshake was. It wasn't a special family place though we did go there, but I went with my teenage friends there quite often for a cheap outing.



 

 





3 comments:

MAX Redline said...

Funny, isn't it? When the Mickey's came to town, they killed the Mom&Pops because they turned burgers and fries into an assembly-line and were able to peddle meals for around 30 cents. No indoor seating, either.

MAX Redline said...

You may find this of interest as well: they tried setting up as dining cars on long-distance trains,which they managed to mess up.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/38221/the-mctrain-the-rise-and-fall-of-mcdonalds-ambitious-plan-to-conquer-the-railroads?utm_source=pocket-newtab

T. D. said...

Thanks, Max! Interesting about the failure of the dining car try. When you stop to think about it, McDonald's prices are no longer cheap. Even the dollar menu is a dollar each item. So simple hamburger and small fries is $2.00. They are living on the reliability of their food taste and some perks like in happy meals. But, are no longer a cheap meal.